What is Giving Tuesday?
- Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Since its inaugural year in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources
- Created by the team at the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y—a cultural center in New York City that, since 1874, has been bringing people together around the values of service and giving back—#GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving. A team of influencers and founding partners joined forces, collaborating across sectors, offering expertise and working tirelessly, to launch #GivingTuesday and have continued to shape, grow and strengthen the movement.
#GivingTuesday harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities; it provides a platform for them to encourage the donation of time, resources and talents to address local challenges. It also brings together the collective power of a unique blend of partners— nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals—to encourage and amplify small acts of kindness.
As a global movement, #GivingTuesday unites countries around the world by sharing our capacity to care for and empower one another.
The above information was shared from the #GivingTuesday website: https://www.givingtuesday.org/about
What does #GivingTuesday mean for Oak City Soccer?
- #GivingTuesday, and any donation throughout the year, keeps Oak City Soccer up and running. Here are some of the ways your donation can help us!
- We have three trained paid part-time staff who have many duties with Oak City Soccer: Head Coach- Shelley, Coach/Occupational Therapist/Volunteer Coordinator- Katie, and Executive Director/Coach- Roxy. Our staff put in many hours on field, but even more off the field -- planning, creating, and adapting the program to insure we are meeting the needs of each individual in the program, while not forgetting the group cohesiveness.
- Field rental costs, and not just any field will do! We very carefully select our playspace based on many factors. We currently rent fields for four hours each Sunday.
- Supplies. We have different size soccer balls which grow with the kids. After a few seasons of 35 children using them, the balls wear out. We need to replenish a couple times a year. We also have cones, pinnies, and many therapeutic items for our children's special needs.
- Expansion. We recently expanded to a second location in Wake Forest so we can reach more kids. We have families who travel from all over the triangle and surrounding areas. League play is also an area of needed expansion. As our players get older, bigger, and progress in skill level, we need to give them more space and challenges. In order to make a league happen, we need to rent even more field space, and bigger! This also requires additional time from the staff, as well as training volunteers.
How can I help?
- We're so glad you're here! One of our missions is to create an awareness and understanding within the community of the Autism Spectrum. By visiting our website and reading this blog, you are helping us in that mission!
- Giving. We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization, making your donations tax deductible. Upon confirmation of your donation, you will receive a receipt with our tax ID. The best way to donate is to visit this link: https://squareup.com/store/oak-city-soccer
- Time. Low on funds? Another way to give is to donate your time. Get to know our kids. You can volunteer for just one hour, or you can commit to an entire season. Anyone interested in volunteering can email our Volunteer Coordinator, Katie at email@example.com
- Share. Share our website and social media with friends and family. Beyond the time and monetary resources, we need an awareness and understanding of this demographic. We have had the privilege of watching children grow in a variety of skills. We want others to witness that too, and to see the ABLE, not the label. Our kids are so capable when given the right tools.
Thank you so much for your support! We couldn't do it without this wonderful community.
To donate: https://squareup.com/store/oak-city-soccer